I did something this weekend that I’ve promised myself I will never do again.
Everything hurts. Muscles I didn’t even know I had are screaming at me to sit down and not move for a week.
This past weekend was pretty much the only weekend Eric and I were home this month, so we decided to make the most of it and attempt way too much in the DIY department. Although at the end of it all both Eric and I wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for a week, we are so happy we got it all done and super happy with the results.
We started by finally replacing and updating the ugly lamp post we have smack dab in front of our house. In a perfect world I would get rid of the thing entirely, but that seemed like a lot more time and effort than the outcome would be worth. So instead, we decided to spruce it up a bit. Now, I so apologize but I completely forgot to snap a “before” photo. I know it’s not nearly as good, but the light looked exactly the same as the old ones that replaced in this post. This post also had a weird sign sticking out of the left side of it that had our house numbers on it. The numbers were tiny and peeling, so we decided to just remove the sign altogether. We took it off, sanded the pole, and the re-spraypainted it. We still have a tiny bit of touchup to do but overall it’s much better.
At that point all we had left to do was purchase a new lantern for the top and switch out the old with the new. We decided to go with the Allen & Roth Castine Post Light from Lowes as it matched the new lights we just installed on the garage and front of the house.
I think I actually really like the light post now…and at the very least it’s now not nearly as much of an eyesore. P.S. If you look really closely you will notice a young pup very eager to see what her mom and dad were doing outside with a camera. Probably embarrassing her in front of the neighborhood dogs, that’s what…
Next, we decided to take out our most physically exhausting DIY project to date — redoing the plant beds all around our house. I don’t think the people before us cared much about what the outside of their house looked like, because when we moved in the yard was just completely overgrown with plants. Last summer my wonderful husband took on the demanding job of cleaning out the beds all the war around our house. He took out probably just over half of everything that was in there to give the plants some room to spread out a bit and breathe. #yourinmybubble
The craziest thing is we still have a ton of plants left, but at least now they look a bit more purposeful. The front of our house is a bit bare (I want to be able to plant some flowers) but the sides and back of our house are still pretty lush. Eric had accomplishing nothing short of a miracle last summer, but we knew this summer we want to tackle “phase 2″ of the project as we like to call it, and take it on home.
So this past week we decided it was time. We took a ton of dirts out of the beds to make room for some hardwood chips, moved a few more plants around to make everything look uniform, and regraded all the bed away from the house. When we were done with that step this is what it looked like. Read more…