From Old to New Again – Dresser
Written by Lindsay Ropella
Now that I’ve moved out, my mom is starting to redo my room at my parent’s house. Let me just start by saying that my room at their house is currently hot pink and neon orange – it definitely needs a lot of “redoing.”
My mom has a dresser that was actually hers when she was younger, then it was a part of my bedroom furniture until I got my own set for my 16th birthday, and then it found a home in my college apartment. It definitely has gotten around over the past 35ish years, and is in desperate need of an update.
I got the idea for this dresser on Pinterest: Idea.
My mom is changing my old bedroom into a guest bedroom for my grandparents. This dresser will be the only dresser in the room, so it has to house both clothes and media. In addition, there won’t be much other furniture in the room, so this dresser has to not only be functional, but pretty and bring some interest into the room.
First we took all the drawers out of the dresser, took the handles off, and sanded all the surfaces of both the dresser and drawers with an electric sander.
After that, we painted the dresser with two coats of Beyer Premium paint in a satin finish.
It looked great, but as we let it dry in the garage, that’s when the problems started… (dun, dun, dun…)
The paint stuck really well to the sides of the dresser and the individual drawers, but the darn paint was just peeling off the top surface of the dresser in strips. We figured out that the reason the paint wasn’t sticking was because the dresser top was not really real wood and was very shiny and slippery so the paint was peeling right off. To fix the problem, we got some Glidden Gripper Primer and painted it all over the top of the dresser. This stuff worked great! Apparently you can put this stuff on glass, then paint it, and the paint won’t peel off.
Once the dresser was finally painted, my grandpa helped to cut a piece of wood to fit inside the dresser at the bottom of the first row of drawers and the top of the second row of drawers. This is so we could use the top two openings as a shelf and not use the drawers. We painted the piece of wood and nailed in the dresser to make the shelf.
We bought some new, more modern handles to replace the old ones.
We screwed the new handles on and, VOILA! A brand new dresser !.. kind of.